This is report about the collapse of the accessway roof between Building 1B and Building 1C in Area 1 that occurred in the morning of December 10 (Sunday). We are very concerned if it caused you any inconvenience due to the closure of the accessway, particularly among students who use Area 1.
In line with this, we are glad to inform you that the dismantling operation of the collapsed roof and the job of repairing the broken section have already been completed, and finally, the accessway is open from 9:00 this morning on December 20, 2017.
We are grateful for your cooperation from the time of the accident to the construction.
Also refer to the 4rd Report (【第4報】) related to this case from the Task Force for Roof Accidents.
Vice President for Student Affairs
12 20, 2017
University of Tsukuba Task Force on Roof Accident
1. Accident Summary (As previously reported)
Date of Accident: Around 7:45 am, on December 10 (Sun.), 2017
Accident Location: 2nd floor accessway between Building 1B and Building 1C in Area 1
Details: There weren’t any injuries.
- The roof of the 2nd floor accessway between Building 1B and Building 1C collapsed (partial damage to the outdoor handrails of accessway)
- Damage, etc. to the door (glass) of the accessway from Building 1C
2. Collapsed Roof (As previously reported)
Structure and Finishing: steel construction, sheet waterproofing, partially made of glass
Year of Construction: 1975 (42 years)
Construction Company: Asanuma Corporation
Size: Approx. 17.5m × 4.5m (about 3-4m×2.5m coved at both ends)
Weight: About 25t (To be confirmed)
3. Measures taken by the university
- The university security officer investigated the accident site and placed the vicinity off-limits. (Dec. 10, 08:00)
- University employees investigated the accident site and prohibited passage to the accessway between Building 1B and Building 1C and the road under the accessway. (Dec. 10, 09:20)
- Posted the【 1st Report 】on the university’s website (Japanese/English) and staff page (Japanese). (Dec. 11, 14:00)
- Made arrangements to remove the collapsed roof (Dec. 12)
- Site confirmation by the construction company and structural experts (Dec. 12, 09:00)
- Emergency inspection of accessways, connecting corridors, etc. on Tsukuba campus. (Dec. 12)
- Started removing the collapsed roof of the accessway. (Dec. 13)
- The Building Guidance Division of Tsukuba City investigated the accident site. (Dec. 13, 10:00)
- Posted the【2nd report】report on the university’s website (Japanese/English) and staff page (Japanese). (Dec. 13)
- Reported the current situation to the Management Committee and the Education and Research Council. (Dec. 14, 10:00 and 14:00)
- Faculty members specializing in structural engineering investigated the accident site. (Dec. 15, 09:30)
- The University of Tsukuba Task Force for Roof Accidents was established to investigate into the cause of the accident and consider emergency measures. (Dec. 15)
- The first meeting of the University of Tsukuba Task Force for Roof Accidents was held. (Dec. 18, 09:00)
- Posted the【3rd report】on the university’s website (Japanese/English) and staff page (Japanese). (Dec. 18, 16:00)
- Passage to the connecting corridors between Buildings 8 and 9 and Buildings 10 and 11 in Hirasuna Student Residence Hall and the connecting corridor between Buildings 4B and 4C is prohibited. (December 18, 18:50)
- Lifting of the closure of the accessway between Building 1B and Building 1C and the lane immediately beneath it (December 20, 9:00)
- Posted the 4th Report on the university’s website (Japanese/English) and staff page (Japanese). (Dec. 20, 10:00)
4. Progress of the Collapsed Roof Removal
Date: From December 13 (Wed.) to 29 (Fri.)
* Excluding the examination period from December 20 (Wed.) to 22 (Fri.), 25 (Mon.), and 26 (Tue.)
December 13 (Wed.): The roof over the bicycle parking area was removed. Getting ready to remove the roof of the accessway.
December 14 (Thu.): The collapsed roof was removed from Building 1B.
December 15 (Fri.): Undertaking of the separation, dismantling, removal, and clearing of the various parts of the roof (Joints are stored separately.)
December 16 (Sat.): Completion of the separation and dismantling of the collapsed roof.
December 17 (Sun.): No construction work
December 18 (Mon.): No construction work
December 19 (Tue.): Completion of the clearing of the dismantled roof and temporary restoration of broken sections including the exterior door
December 20 (Wed.): Lifting of the closure of the accessway
5. Inspection of accessways, connecting corridors, etc. on Tsukuba campus
Date: December 12 (Tue)
Summary: Emergency inspection of similar structures to the accessway in question
Target: Total of 77 structures including accessways, connecting corridors, etc. on Tsukuba campus
Details: Visual inspection including the floor number, structures, indoors or outdoors, state of joints (exposed or concealed), state of deterioration
Results of the emergency inspection:
(1) Based on the emergency inspection
After carrying out an emergency visual inspection of accessways and connecting corridors on campus by employees of the Department of Facilities, the following 3 places need further confirmation of safety conditions immediately. (Please see the pdf )
- No. 58 (West Area) Connecting corridor in Hirasuna Student Residence Hall
- No. 59 (West Area) Connecting corridor in Hirasuna Student Residence Hall
- No. 65 (West Area) Connecting corridor between Building 4B and Building 4C
(2) Emergency measure
- Announced to students who use the 3 places that they are off limits as an emergency measure until they are confirmed safe.(December 18, 18:50)
(3) Future course of action
① Outsourced the detailed inspection of the 77 structures
② Reinforcement or removal of structures where safety cannot be confirmed through the outsourced detailed investigation.
6. Cause of the accident
- Under consideration in the Task Force for Roof Accidents
- Get outside expert opinion
Copyright © 2016 University of Tsukuba All Rights Reserved.
1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8577 Japan