As approved by the university president April 1, 2014
The University of Tsukuba (hereafter the University) respects fundamental human rights and admits and supports qualified individuals with all types and levels of disabilities. The University faculty and staff are aware of this mission and strive to provide reasonable accommodation to all students with disabilities without compromising academic standards, following the leadership of the university president.
Based on the precepts of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, Basic Act for Persons with Disabilities (Act No.84 of 1970) and Act on the Elimination of Disability Discrimination (Act No. 65 of 2013), this charter is the core guiding principle for all faculty and staff at the University of Tsukuba. It voices the university's allegiance to the general mission of enriching and improving the support of students with disabilities.
(Opportunity Procurement and Education Quality Assurance)
1. Ensure access to academic programs so that students do not have to discontinue their education due to their disabilities. As a center of advanced education and scientific research, academic standards are also maintained.
2. Inform students and applicants with disabilities on the University’s prospective and support system. The University strives to demonstrate its stewardship towards social responsibility.
3. The right of receiving support lies in the individual student with disabilities. Reasonable adjustments should be provided based on the each individual's request.
(Method of teaching)
4. Reasonable accommodation such as support for accessing information and communicating, arrangements for exams and the evaluation of the academic performance are provided without compromising academic standards.
5. Constant effort paid toward ensuring a competent support system for students with disabilities university- wide.
6. Develop and maintain a barrier-free campus that is safe and enable full participation at the University.
(Research and Training)
7.Implement research and training (Faculty Development: FD) at the faculty level on support for students with disabilities.
(System of Implementation)
8. Affiliations dealing with the issues of students with disabilities will provide appropriate accommodations in cooperation with the Office of Students with Disabilities and other related affiliations.
Copyright © 2016 University of Tsukuba All Rights Reserved.
1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8577 Japan