Overseas Safety & Risk Management (for Students)

During recent years, there are various occasions to travel overseas from brief durations to extended periods including overseas training and internship. With these, it is conceivable that there are cases of involvement in emergency situations including significant injuries, accidents, crimes, diseases, and disasters. You may not avoid danger if you live at the same level of awareness while living in Japan. First, be conscious of the risks of "being overseas" and always striving for both safety and health management.

1. MOFA's Overseas Safety Homepage

The Overseas Safety Homepage(https://www.anzen.mofa.go.jp/) of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) releases an index of local information and precaution measures in countries and regions requiring special care as danger information in 4 categories in traveling and staying overseas. As our university has established actions to be taken by students, faculty members, and university employees based on overseas safety-related information by MOFA, be sure to check them before travel.

2. Travel Guidelines for Students, Faculty Members, and University Employees in Case of a Crisis Overseas

Our university has measures on overseas travel of students, faculty members, and university employees based on this information of MOFA. If the danger information is Level 2: Avoid Non-Essential Travel, the dispatch and travel of students are canceled so be sure to check before travel.
"Travel Guidelines for Students, Faculty Members, and University Employees in case of a Crisis Overseas" (Decision by the President)

For reference: About overseas travel during the COVID-19 pandemic (study abroad, presentations at academic conferences, etc.)

3. Overseas Travel System (TRIP) Entry

Entry the "Overseas Travel System" (TRIP) before travelling overseas.
Based on the data entered in TRIP the University takes necessary measures such as confirming your safety when emergency situations such as natural disaster, terrorism, and pandemic of disease hit the countries or areas where you are staying.
Therefore, we ask all students to Entry TRIP form regardless of the reason for your trip, such as overseas study, leave of absence, business trip, personal trip, or temporary return of international students.

For faculty members and employees, there is a need to make an entry about their itinerary in TRIP when it comes to overseas business trips. Furthermore, they can make an entry on a voluntary basis in the case of personal travel.

Moreover, for overseas study or leave of absence or business trips, there is a need for the timetable generated from TRIP as an attachment for the Application for Studying Abroad, Application for Leave of Absence, and Application for Business Trip in addition to the above.

Please note that TRIP can be modified after it has been entered. If there are any changes to your itinerary, please make the necessary corrections.
Overseas Travel System (TRIP)
User Manual

5. Healthcare and Infectious Disease Control Measure

Be sure to check the warning on infectious diseases and medical information in the travel destination beforehand as well in healthcare before travel. Consultation of immunization and other considerations may be needed depending on the travel destination so check ahead of time.
Please take extra care of your health condition after returning home. There are cases when illness begins 1 month after returning home so if you notice any ongoing symptoms including a fever, first contact a healthcare facility and follow their instructions.
World Medical Care Situation (Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan)
FORTH (Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare Japan)

6. Apply for Overseas Travel or Study Insurance

When traveling overseas, make sure to take out an overseas travel or study insurance. Some people use the Overseas travel insurance of credit cards nowadays, but the coverage has a lot of limitations, so make absolutely sure in advance. If studying overseas for a long period, taking out an insurance for overseas study is recommended. There are numerous overseas study insurances, but please absolutely make sure of the amount payable and coverage before taking it out Also, try to contact the insurance company immediately and be aware of the contact Information all the time in case something happens at your destination.

7. Apply for "Overseas Students Safety Management Assistance (OSSMA) Service"

Please Join OSSMA to cover your travel period. The overseas travel insurance is a system to provide a certain amount of money to those who contracted an illness, encountered an accident, etc. overseas whereas OSSMA does not cover necessary cost in response (medical bill, etc) but makes accurate recommendations of local hospitals, transportation to the hospital, etc. if a happening or accident occurs during your stay at your overseas destination. For students to make the most of their lives overseas, if a problem occurs during their stay, OSSMA will provide appropriate support in Japanese and English 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. Receiving the service of OSSMA is promised on taking out an overseas travel or study insurance.
Overseas Students Safety Management Assistance (OSSMA) Service

8. Registration for MOFA's Travel Registration Service (Tabireg or ORRnet)

Remember to register (see below) to get local safety-related information and e-mail communication in the event of emergencies from MOFA and diplomatic establishments abroad.
Travel less than 3 months "Tabireg"

The traveler registration for Tabireg is limited to Japanese nationals (it is possible to register an e-mail address as a companion of a Japanese national). In the event of a foreign national is travelling alone and he/she wishes for information acquisition including information from diplomatic establishments abroad, information will be sent from diplomatic establishments abroad as is the case with usual Tabireg by registering in the simplified Tabireg registration.
Travel more than 3 months "Overseas Residential Registration (ORRnet)"

The Overseas Residential Registration is limited to Japanese nationals. However, it is possible for foreign nationals to register as a household member. If your home country has a similar service, register and keep local safety conditions updated.

9. How to Make Travel Safer (Emmergency Contact Card, etc.)

With taking care of yourself over everything else in mind, it is important for each traveler to have sufficient "knowledge and strong" awareness and ensure self-control to make your travel safer. Our university regularly holds overseas crisis management seminars for students, faculty members, and university employees, in addition to awareness building of crisis management before overseas travel with the various measures described above. Students should make effective use of such opportunities.

  • ・ Know information and common practices of your travel destination fully and take care to avoid hazardous locations and situations.

  • ・You are in danger of falling victim to crime including luggage lifting, bag-snatching, pickpocket, stealing, and sneak thievery. It is necessary to share sufficient local information including such dangers with family members.

  • ・Keep close watch on your actions and behaviors by observing rules and manners and reminding yourself Constantly that you are a student of our university.

  • ・Examples of emergency contact persons include the person in charge in the local host institution, person in charge in the University of Tsukuba, support desk of the crisis management service, Overseas travel insurance, etc., family member in Japan, contact information of the diplomatic establishments abroad. Regularly contacting family members and the university in Japan during your stay also leads to emergency measures SO carry out regular contact. Overseas Crisis
    Management Desk of the University of Tsukuba: gc-emergency#@#un.tsukuba.ac.jp
    (Remove "#" from the above e-mail address before sending mail.)

  • ・Emergency Contact Card
    We urge that you fill it out with your personal information in English and carry it with you just in case. In addition to being distributed by each academic service office and the Student Commons, you can find the template of the emergency contact card in the website of our university so after downloading, cutting and filling out necessary information, carry it with you on site.

  • Emergency Contact Card (EXCEL)

Celebrating the 151st 50th Anniversary of the University of Tsukuba
Celebrating the 151st 50th Anniversary of the University of Tsukuba