The Special Needs Education School for the Visually Impaired is only national school for the visually impaired. Our mission statement is as outlined below:
- ・ To provide the specialized care needed for visually impaired toddlers, children and students, and also to provide general education in our kindergarten, elementary, junior high, and senior high schools, along with professional occupational training
- ・ To cooperate with visual impairment education research of the University of Tsukuba, and also conduct teaching practice and care giving practice for the university's students
- ・ To strive for the further succession and development of our expertise in visual impairment education through everyday practice and research, and to send such results around all of Japan
- ・ To provide the necessary educational support to other visually impaired toddlers, children and students not enrolled in our school
- ・ To provide assistance in the creation of textbooks for visually impaired toddlers and students. Also, to cooperate in various related activities of the education for the visually impaired in Japan. Such as the development and organization of volunteers for the creation of books and other teaching materials and tools, and, in addition, to implement Braille type university entrance exams and to strive for the acceptance of visually impaired students etc.
Educational Activities and features
Kindergarten and elementary departments
we accept various children, including those that require special care, on the premise of commuting to school from home. We enhance the learning effect by devising flexible forms of teaching, such as classes based on visual impairment, combined classes, and individual guidance, tailored for the developmental stage.
Junior and senior high schools
we accept students from all over Japan. Our classes are conducted with respect for independence and individuality. In our high school department, we have an ordinary school and a music school. Many ordinary school students continue their education at regular universities. On the other hand, a number of students continue their studies in our special subject schools.
Special subject schools
To the high school graduates, we offer three-year courses for finger pressure (shiatsu) massage therapy, acupuncture and moxibustion therapy, and physiotherapy. Two international students from neighboring countries in Asia are accepted to the courses for finger pressure (shiatsu) massage therapy, acupuncture and moxibustion therapy at each grade. We also have a music school that was established at the time of our school opening. The music course is a two-year course.