Campus Life


The following is information on the type of visa you require and how to apply before you arrive, as well as your visa conditions, including family visits, extending and changes to your student status.


Before Arrival

Before arriving in Japan, it is necessary for overseas residents to obtain their passport at a government office in their country. If you are already living in Japan, you may need to change your visa status from your current visa status. This page includes information on a certificate of eligibility, procedure of obtaining a visa, and the contact information of Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau and Mito Branch Tokyo Immigration Bureau.

Change of Status

At the University of Tsukuba, only students who hold the residence status of "Student" are considered to be international students. Therefore, applications for scholarships are accepted only for students who hold the "Student" status. Students who have entered Japan under a different visa at the time of admission should change their status at the Immigration Office immediately after enrollment.

Visa Extension

The approved period of stay in Japan for international students can be extended near their deadlines by following the designated procedures. Please check this site regarding necessary documents for undergraduate students, graduate students, and Research Students (maximum extension of stay is two years).


This page includes information on the procedures for bringing one's family to Japan (for a period of more than 90 days or within 90 days) and the childbirth registration procedures. Information on the necessary documents is also available on this page.

National Health Insurance

All international students with "Student" visa status are required to enroll in the National Health Insurance program. The medical expenses incurred by the students are reduced to 30% by joining the National Health Insurance program. Although this insurance carries a nominal premium, approximately 20,000 yen a year, it brings the students advantages especially in the case of serious illnesses or injuries that require hospitalization.

Residence After Graduation

Please be aware that even if the period of residence previously granted under the "Student" status has not yet expired at the time you graduate, you must apply for a change of status of residence in case you wish to remain in Japan, as your "Student" status is no longer valid once you have graduated. Please keep in mind that failing to go through the procedures to change your status of residence is considered illegal residence.

If you have already been admitted to a higher level course at university or other institution in Japan and have more than three months to wait until enrollment, you will need to change your visa status from "Student" to "Designated Activity". Please consult with the Division of Student Exchange before graduation.

Work Permit

Since international students are here for the purpose of study and research, part-time work is not recommended. However, if it is absolutely necessary, you can apply for permission at the Regional Immigration Bureau to obtain a part-time job and may receive permission (not required in the case of teaching assistant, research assistant or tutor) to work for up to 28 hours a week. You may work for up to 8 hours per day during vacation periods in summer, winter and spring as designated by the university. Please consult with your advisor before you start working.

Celebrating the 151st 50th Anniversary of the University of Tsukuba
Celebrating the 151st 50th Anniversary of the University of Tsukuba