Campus Life

Work Permit

Since international students are here for the purpose of study and research, part-time work is not recommended. However, if it is absolutely necessary, you can apply for permission at the Regional Immigration Bureau to obtain a part-time job and may receive permission (not required in the case of teaching assistant, research assistant or tutor) to work for up to 28 hours a week. You may work for up to 8 hours per day during vacation periods in summer, winter and spring as designated by the university. Please consult with your advisor before you start working.
If you engage in part-time work without permission, you may be subject to legal punishment. Please be aware that international students are prohibited from engaging in part-time work that are contrary to contemporary public morals (e.g. cabarets, pinball parlors, mah-jong clubs, massage parlors, strip-show theaters, love hotels, etc.). In addition, international students on leave may not work.

Necessary Documents

  • Application for Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted (available at the Regional Immigration Bureau)
  • Document indicating the nature of non-academic activities
  • Residence Card or Certificate of Alien Registration
  • Passport
  • Please come to the Division of Student Exchange (1st floor, 1A building) after receiving the work permit from the Regional Immigration Bureau.
Celebrating the 151st 50th Anniversary of the University of Tsukuba
Celebrating the 151st 50th Anniversary of the University of Tsukuba