For MEXT Scholarship Students

Procedures for Receiving Scholarship

In order to receive the monthly scholarship, the students must put their signature (or their seal) on the current list of scholars at the Division of Student Exchange between the 1st and 6th of every month. When it is impossible to come during the above-mentioned period because of travel or other reasons, the students must obtain their academic advisor's approval and submit in advance a "Notice of absence from residence" to the Division of Student Exchange.
The scholarship will be transferred into the individual's postal savings account around the end of the month. Should the students fail to sign within the specified period, payment of the scholarship may be delayed till the following month.


  • Payment for April and October of every year may be delayed.

  • If the students fail to sign for one month, their monthly scholarship for that specific month shall be forfeited. If students are absent from the university for a long time, their monthly scholarship for that period will normally be suspended.

  • Please note that if you change your visa status from "College Student" to another status, you lose the qualification for receiving the Monbukagakusho scholarship and you will stop receiving the monthly stipend.

Extension of Scholarship

Monbukagakusho Scholars (regular students and research students, etc.) whose scholarship period ends who wish to continue their studies can apply for an extension of their scholarship period under certain conditions. Students will be notified of the time of re-application through their respective graduate offices or Academic Service Offices around October-November, and those who wish to extend should proceed accordingly. Those who will return home should apply for a return travel allowance. Those who will stay in Japan after the expiration of their scholarship must submit a notice of cancellation of return travel allowance.
There are a number of conditions that must be fulfilled in extending the scholarship. For further details, please contact the Division of Student Exchange.

Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship

Celebrating the 151st{50th Anniversary of the University of Tsukuba
Celebrating the 151st{50th Anniversary of the University of Tsukuba